Beyond Stage Gate
Outline: the latest thinking and methods that leading firms are building into the way they do product development and get new products to market. Includes topical issues such as Agile Development for manufacturers; accelerating the development & launch process; making the idea-to-launch system more flexible and adaptable; iterative Development, and much more.
This is a Specialist B2B Marketing concept and workshop. Is this class right for me? Six questions to ask yourself:
- Do you want to get your products right, but much earlier in the process to avoid redo’s and rework?
- Do you want to accelerate development without sacrificing quality?
- Does your current stage-and-gate system seem cumbersome and unable to deal with today’s customer responsiveness imperative?
- You’ve heard about Agile-Scrum development for software products and wonder how it works for physical or manufactured new products.
- Your pipeline is overloaded with too many projects – and too small – and you’re spread too thin.
- You want better development projects, resourced correctly, with better results (fast, profitable, and right).
If you answered Yes to 2 or more of these questions, then attending will benefit you right away.
2-day interactive lecture & discussion sessions, including ample question-and-answer opportunities and Cooper’s famous “hot questions” sessions. Numerous case studies, illustrations, and practical examples from other companies and countries. Templates, guidelines and checklists you may share with others back at your organization. Begin implementing right away!
- Get the project right by building experimentation and iterations with regular, fast customer validations into the development process.
- Leverage Agile-Scrum project management methods to help with dynamic product requirements and rapid strategic pivots (scrums and time-boxed sprints).
- Adapt Agile-Scrum methods for physical products – build Agile into your gating process.
- Understand the different versions of Stage-Gate – Lite, XPress, the risk-based contingency model, and gating for technology platforms – how they’re different and how they work.
- Get your projects resourced properly (dedicated and focused project teams) to enable rapid iterations, time-boxed sprints and scrums.
- Be more adaptive to changing requirements; get to market faster.
- Achieve better focus – fewer but better projects — by using ‘gates with teeth.’
- Remove waste, bureaucracy and speed-killers in your process through lean value stream analysis.
- Your own customized project canvas – make your gating system more adaptive and flexible
- An Agile-Stage-Gate hybrid model you can implement for physical/hardware products
- An idea-to-launch system for technology and platform projects
- Scorecards and the Productivity Index for implementing gates with teeth, making the right investment decisions, gaining focus
- Hands-on, personal guidance from Dr. Cooper
- A new network of peersfrom other companies to continue the dialogue after the session is over
- Real examples and illustrations from industry
- Templates and tools to share and use back at your organization
- Answers to your specific questions and challenges via the ‘hot questions board’
Dr. Robert G. Cooper is the Founder and President of the Product Development Institute and an ISBM Distinguished Research Fellow. Dr. Cooper is also the creator of the world-famous Stage-Gate® process, and was named the “World’s Top Innovation Management Scholar” by the prestigious Journal of Product Innovation Management. He has combined practical consulting with ground-breaking research for many years. Besides his best-selling books “Winning at New Products” and “Portfolio Management for New Products”, he has published more than 120 articles on new products, R&D and innovation management.
Dr. Cooper is Professor Emeritus at the DeGroote School of Business, McMaster University in Canada and ISBM Distinguished Research Fellow at Pennsylvania State University in the USA. He is also the founder and President of Product Development Institute offering innovation know-how and support around the world. Many companies in North America, Europe and Asia have introduced his methods, including 3M, ABB, Alfa Laval, Arkema, BASF, Bosche-Siemens, Caterpillar, Dow Chemical, DuPont, Exxon Chemicals, HP, ITT Industries, Kennametal, Siemens, Volvo Construction Equipment, and others.
Cancellation Policy: (Prior to course start date)
For the benefit of our attendees, our course attendance is purposefully limited. We will only provide a full refund for cancellations prior to 21 days before the start of the course. In lieu of a refund, prior to 7 days before the start of any course, you may choose to use your payment to attend another Mastery Curriculum Course. Please contacting us to determine availability.